Saturday, March 14, 2009

Things that go bump in the night...


So the first night in the big boy bed actually went fairly well. Since Jake didn't nap at all yesterday (we are still doing naps 4 out of 5 days for the most part), he was fairly worn out by bedtime. I put him in his big boy crib, told him the rules (no getting out of the crib until tomorrow morning when it's daytime), and put up the baby gate just in case. (He doesn't have a bedroom door, only curtains, and his doorway is right next to the stairs, better safe than sorry).

So he went to bed without much fuss, and only called me once:
"Mommy, I dropped my binkie!"
"Okay Jake, you can get out of the crib to get your binkie, but get right back in bed okay?"
"Okay...."
"Goodnight sweetheart, I love you, I'll see you in the morning."
"Goodnight mommy."


All was well until about 1am. Ruthie and I were downstairs watching TV when suddenly a thud came from upstairs. Ruthie jumped up and barked loudly like the good watchdog she is. I ran up the stairs in record time, threw open the curtains and literally ran through the baby gate (oops, forgot about that!) to find Jake crying in the middle of his bedroom, on the floor. After a few tears and hugs, he was back into bed, tucked in tightly, and stayed firmly in bed the rest of the night. See those body pillows from the previous post? Yeah, AFTER he fell, I had the brilliant idea to position them below the crib. Luckily we didn't need them, but they will stay there just in case.


As soon as the sun came up: "Mommy, it's daytime! Can I get up now?" Lol.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

WHOA!!! Was he trying to climb out of his crib or did you just think it was time to try this? What a milestone! Connor has not attempted to get out, so I will be leaving him in his crib until he outgrows it or until he is 18 -- whichever comes first.

Cameron fell out of his bed numerous times when he first moved to a single bed (he really does have a big boy bed since we used the crib for Connor). We just kept lots of pillows on both sides and he got to the point that he just got back in by himself without even coming to tell us. It is a real adjustment, though. Keep us posted!

Kelly said...

You know what's funny? He wasn't so much trying to climb OUT of the crib as he kept trying to climb IN to it! He's started to get very brave and I was worried that he might hurt himself.

I also figured that this was a good time to start trying to transition to OTHER big boy things - getting rid of the binkies, potty training, giving up the sippy cup at night, etc etc, etc.

I know plenty of other kids his age who are still in the crib, and I know plenty who have been in a toddler bed or real big boy bed for months now. It was easy enough to convert, I figured worse case scenario, if it fails, I can always put the drop-side of the crib back on.

Tonight went pretty well. Two quick excursions out of the big boy bed (getting a ball he left in the bathroom that he HAD to bring to bed with him, and getting a binkie he dropped), but (so far, knock wood) no big thuds.