Sunday, April 09, 2006

The umbilical cord falls off... and other adventures in parenting



Jake in his first Yankees t-shirt and XXXS Yankees hat

After a very stinky couple of days with the umbilical cord stump, it was finally just hanging by a string after his bath the other day. I might mention that he needed a bath because he threw up all over himself and his father. Ralph has been the victim of two big Jake barfs lately. Mom has avoided them, but she has been hit with a poop spray, and gets peed on daily. Today Mommy was hit square in the chest... at least he has good aim. (Sidebar: I must say I never imagined I would be discussing bowel movements in detail on the internet...) So anyway, we decided to try to help the cord along, and then just fell off by itself! It quickly went directly into the trash - I know some parents are very sentimental d like to keep such things for the scrapbook, but our baby's belly button stump was so gross (even though we cleaned it multiple times a day as directed) that we couldn't wait to toss it in the nearest garbage can - you're outta here! Some cultures actually bury the cord stump in the yard and plant a tree or something over the stump. Ralph and I are not planning to live in this house forever, so that idea didn't seem all that appealing. Plus, having to spend another second with that stump made us want to scream!

No comments: