We had figured that Jake would get a few more colds and sniffles while he was in day care, and that he would have to build up his immunity...but we never expected what hit us. Almost as soon as Jake came home from daycare on tuesday night, he began throwing up. Over and over. First, it was just formula, then clear liquid, then bright yellow bile. (I warned you.) We called the doctor that night, and told her that he didn't have a temperature, but described the other symptoms. She said it might just be a nervous reaction to the change in his routine and the new people at daycare. She suggested giving him a small amount of water, which luckily he kept down all night. Our poor little guy was so good through all of this - he didn't cry even once, he was just sort of sad and tired and lethargic. The next morning, he had two very loose dirty diapers. (You don't HAVE to read this!) It also looked like there was a slight amount of blood in his diapers, which had me REALLY worried. This is the first time our little guy has ever been sick, so we felt so sad and hopeless. I had to go to work that morning, even though I was NOT feeling good myself. My stomach was very mad at me. Ralph took Jake to the doctor, who said that the diaper manufacturers put something in the crystals of the diaper that turn red when a baby wets and is dehydrated. I though, "Why couldn't they make it BLUE??!! Why RED??!" Anyway, the doc said she sees it all the time. She weighed Jake (14 pounds, 6 ounces!) and checked him over in every which way, and said he was perfectly fine except for a stomach bug.
I was relieved to hear this news, but unfortunately, my situation was getting worse. Whatever was in my body wanted out - whichever way it thought was quickest. When I found myself vomiting violently at work, I decided enough is enough. I went home and spent the rest of the day and night in bed, either freezing to death with chills, or boiling hot and sweating through my clothes with a fever. It felt like the flu, with aches and pains all over. HORRIBLE. I don't wish this on anyone, and I feel so bad that my baby boy had tho go through this. As of this morning, I still felt terrible, and realized I couldn't make it to work, and Jake couldn't go to daycare. Jake woke up at 5 am this morning, and Ralph went to change him since I was still feeling sick. But now Ralph was feeling nauseous too. He managed to get Jake changed, but then all hell broke loose. Ralph spent the morning vomiting up anything he tried to take to keep hydrated. So now he is upstairs, with a fever of 101.6 (he beat my 100.3) hoping morning will come soon. This seems to be about a 30-hour virus. So Jake is pretty much well again, I am almost recovered (still no appetite - maybe this isn't that bad afterall?), and Ralph is in the worst of it. We really hope to be recovered by this weekend, since we are going to New York for Jake's (very small) Christening and the 4th of July.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment