
This is not an easy post to write. It's a post I knew would be coming, but I never expected it to happen so soon.
For those of you who didn't know, for the last ten months we have been living with Ralph's grandfather, in his home here in New York. He's lived in this house since 1951. His health was failing since our wedding in 2004, and we moved in to try to give him some company, help out in any way we could, and to be able to spend some time with him before he would one day pass away. We assumed that day would not be coming anytime soon.

We lost Papa Joe this morning at 6:50 am. He was such a good man who had fought so long. His heart was so weak, his lungs were so full of fluid, and he had been gasping for air for months now, even with oxygen round the clock. This morning he simply took his last breath. He was Ralph's grandfather, but I considered him my own grandfather. I loved him and respected him. He was a kind and giving man, a war veteran, a devoted husband and a man of God. He loved Jake so much and I am so glad he got to see his only great-grandson every day for the last 10 months.


4 comments:
Oh Kelly! I'm so sorry! He sounded like a kind soul. What a blessing to spend so much quality time with him this past year!
I'll be praying for your family.
What!? Oh, NO!!!! Kelly, I am shedding real tears for Papa Joe. I am so sorry Ralph's grandfather passed away. I feel especially more "connected" to Papa Joe after our recent e-mails about your life with the sweet man. What a shock you must all feel. I am so sorry. How wonderful to hear that he was a man of God. How sad you, Ralph and Jake must be. I know you will find comfort for years to come that he spent so much of his last days in close proximity of family who loved him and cared for him. What wonderful stories you'll be able to pass along to Jake...and some super photographs. Gotta love Papa Joe blowing out the candles! Be sure to tell Ralph as well that I am SO sorry for your loss.
Kelly and Ralph,
I am so sorry. Our thoughts are with you.
Chrissy and Jeremy
Kelly, my heart goes out to you, Ralph, and Jake. What a special relationship you all had with him, and what a gift that he and Jake got to know each other so well. I'm so sorry for your loss and know that you will remain in my thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment