Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My animated happy boy


A very typical scene any day this week in my office / Jake's playroom / our upstairs living room.



P.S. - I wish I always exposed my images this well! This is 100% straight outta the camera, no Photoshop, no actions, no tweaks whatsoever. (I do sharpen just a tad for the internet - but that's IT!) For the photonerds like me: ISO 400, 50mm focal length, f/1.4, 1/60 sec, all natural light (no flash).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you use the flux capaciter, 1.21 jigawatts with the 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower??

Kristin said...

Ha! Ralph cracks me up. :) Sweet pics of Jake; his personality certainly shows. For those photo-idiots like me; any suggestions how to take nice pics w/o a flash on a digital camera that is doo-doo compared to everything you own? My pics always look great in the preview screen...and then it flashes. But w/o a flash, it is (obviously) too dark and grainy. There is probably not much I can do, but I just thought I'd ask the expert. :)

Anonymous said...

Since Kelly glazes over and starts making fun of me when I talk technical about my business, I thought I would give some back! By the way, my previous post was a combination of 2 lines from 2 different movies. Anyone know which ones?

Kelly said...

Kristin - your question is a very common one. Flash is the #1 killer of most photos! ;) A few things I would recommend: (1) play around with your camera to look for something called ISO (which is basically the light sensitivity). If you are indoors, or outside after dusk, set the ISO to the highest number possible (800 or 1000 or even 1600). Then turn off your flash and hold your camera as steady as possible. *Just remember to turn it back to under 400 when you go back outside!*

(2) if possible, take your subject to a sunnier spot. Natural light is your friend! :) When I set up a photoshoot in someone's home, I look for the best light first, and then do whatever I can to set up the pictures there. Rearrange furniture, move lamps and pictures - whatever it takes! Luckily my customers usually go along with my crazy suggestions :)

(3) If you must use flash, there are some products on the market that can help diffuse the harsh light your flash gives off. Gary Fong (a world famous wedding photographer) has a product for point and shoot camera flashes that I would recommend: http://store.garyfonginc.com/delta.html

Good luck! :)

Kristin said...

Ralph - I had to ask my husband for confirmation, but your quotes are from Back to the Future (big fans) and Dazed and Confused (that one required extra brain cells).

Kelly - I truly and completely appreciate your help. I probably should have emailed you my question, but maybe this explanation could help other "common folk" like me. ;) (Seriously, are all of your friends photographers?!?) Anyway, as usual, you rock and I will let you know if my picture quality improves. Thanks a bunch!!!

Anonymous said...

You got it! Nice work Kristin!

Kim said...

Nice work dude! I love the pic to the far right, that sweet lil belly...
Yeah I have talked to Land every day and he gets on the phone all excited "Hi Mommy!" then he tels me what he had for dinner, that "I luh lou (I love you), and that he "missed me" lol, it breaks my hrea but I got a sweet picture text from them last night... I cried.