
Meanwhile, Jake and "Gee-dah" were occupying themselves in a patch of unused soil behind the house (which, I come to find out, is rather nice, as dirt goes). They performed their own archeological dig, turning up a plastic cowboy (probably a toy from when my father-in-law played there as a boy), a number of metal clothespin springs, and a rusty vintage clothes hanger. Grandpa termed it our "ghetto sandbox." Tee hee! Jake had a great time getting spectacularly dirty and filled his shoes and pants and jacket with the sandy soil, which will soon be planted with a nice patch of shade-loving perennials once mama finds an hour or two of spare time (ha!).

I guess it's time to think about getting a real sandbox for my


6 comments:
Ghetto sandbox....I love it!! I wouldn't say Maddy is a fan of dirt, however I always seem to be cleaning dirt out from under her fingernails. Usually, after she's been at MomMom and PopPop's house!
Sandboxes are great fun, but messy and attract cats... if you know what I mean. My cousin had a great idea. They went to a local feed store and got a huge amount of feed corn. They filled a kiddie pool with it and use that as their "sandbox". Their son seems to love it. Now, you can't exactly build a sandcastle, but it's a lot tidier than sand and of course you can compost it or throw it away later since it's 100% natural. "Food" for thought... Ha! Maybe there's another substance/food item that you could do the same thing with if you think the feed corn is too big.
That is so funny; I was going to blog on a similar topic that I am so NOT a dirty girl...I really despise dirt! It is bad because I know I need to let my boys be boys, but I don't want it all over their (adorable) clothing or my(cream) carpeting. I know...I need to get over it. I'm glad you don't have similar hang-ups.
Get out of the "hood" girl and come to the Mpls/St. Paul burbs and see some MAJOR dirt and construction vehicles! Jake will be in HEAVEN!!!!! Wyatt is VERY FOND of anything that gets him dirty....let me know when he decides that life revolves around Monster Trucks...we'll start a support group! ;0
LOVE it! So super ghetto, that's for sure. Good for you for just letting him go at it! A lesser mom would have disallowed such a soiled spectacle. Yes, my boys LOVE dirt and sand, too. Just not when one or the other throws it in the other's face. Jake can be thankful he was playing with his trustworthy grandma, and not a wily sibling!
That's hilarious. I can totally relate, if it's 'dig-able', my kids will dig in it, eat it, wear it, you name it.
Hey, was going through some of my OLD OLD comments on my dairy allergy blog & ran across one from you from LAST SUMMER! Sheesh! So, a belated thanks for your comment & wish & prayer, etc.
I'll be back, must go force the kids to sit at the table & pretend to eat.
Post a Comment