Monday, May 05, 2008

Our Precious Girl

I just thought it was time for my favorite Boston Terrier to be featured on the blog since her little brother has, so far, stolen all the limelight.


Our little girl Ruthie sits dutifully under my desk for hours a day as I scrutinize the images on my monitor and click-click-click with the mouse. She will sometimes stand on her back paws to press a cold wet nose into my arm when she thinks it's time for a break. (As is the case in this image.) Occasionally, she'll decide to sit on my lap and assist with the editing process. But mostly, she is content just keeping me company.

On Wednesday, it will be three years that Ruthie has been a part of our family, since we rescued her (all 17 starved pounds of her) from a shelter in Delaware on Mother's Day weekend 2005. Ralph (who was not a 'dog person') somehow managed to fall in love with her. Ruth had stolen my heart immediately. She curled up with me all 9 months of the pregnancy and was at the front door to welcome Jake when we brought him home from the hospital. Jake has grown to love her every bit as much as we do, and it's hard to remember what life was like before we had her.

My public service announcement in honor of Ruthie: If you are considering adding a pet to your family, please consider a shelter dog first. So many shelters are overcrowded with dogs (and cats) that may never find a home, and you could be a pet's last chance at life. And please, remember to spay and neuter your pets so that more animals do not end up in the shelters.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Great minds think alike! I just wrote a post about my sweet kitty, who has thus far been neglected on my blog. I was feeling a bit guilty.

At least we have girl animals since we are stuck playing in dirt with our boy children. :)

Kyler and Mia's Mommy said...

I know what you mean, Kelly. Our life hasn't been the same since New Years Eve, 2003 when we brought home our little rescued Boston Terrier. And although Charlie may be quite a lot of work sometimes, I can't imagine life without him.

Hey, I just noticed that you joined the Meetup Mom's group in your area. When you were talking about joining a group, I thought there might be one near you. We really like our group here.