Jake and I were in fancy-schmancy Greenwich, CT after my chiropractor's appointment yesterday, and we stopped at Starbucks for a snack. He picked out a nice table for us, opened up his milk and put in the straw all by himself, and was helping himself to our petite vanilla bean scones. He was being quite well-behaved and getting the attention of a few of the local patrons, which he immediately picks up on. I was the proud mama of an adorable independent three-year old.
Then he decided to act silly and drop the word "poop" into our conversation. I swiftly and sternly warned him that was not a word to use in public, and certainly not in an eating establishment. He used it again. I gave him the final warning - say it again, and we're leaving. Of course he tested me and said poop again. "That's it, we're leaving," and I quickly began to pick up our things and put on my jacket.
Jake freaks out and begins yelling, pleading loudly: "I'M NOT SAYING POOP! I'M NOT SAYING POOP ANYMORE MOMMY! PLEASE SIT DOWN! I'M NOT SAYING POOOOOOP!!!!" The customers around us, of course, erupt into laughter, as I try to quiet him down while following through on my threat, and not crack up myself.
I followed through on my threat, and we left, but not without causing a huge scene. Needless to say, we'll be avoiding the Greenwich Ave Starbucks for a little while, thanks to Jake.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I wonder how many other blogs now have an entry about the adorable, independent 3 year old who decided to test his mom's resolve by repeatedly saying "Poop" in the Greenwich Avenue Starbucks? May want to check the local media (print and online) just in case a reporter (or "you should have seen this" contributor) was among those amused! Never know who's lurking incognito at a Starbucks.
Peepa
Kelly, that is a hoot! I can totally see mine doing the same thing. Ahhhh! Being a mommy is tough sometimes. Mine would have thrown an all-out tantrum with tears attached. But I know as a teacher that you have to follow through or they will never trust that you'll keep your word. At least you were grounded enough to laugh on the inside. :)
Ha - glad to know I'm not the only one :)
If there is one thing I know that I have to do as a parent, especially to a kid like Jake who loves to test boundaries, it's follow through on my threats/keep my word. It's not always fun, and I've made him leave playdates only 20 minutes into them (when I really wanted to stay too!) when he ignores my rules.
This kid knows by now that mommy doesn't joke around. Toys have gone in the trash, balloons have been popped, treats have been thrown out, privileges have been taken away. It usually ends up as a full-on screaming, crying, flip-out mess, sometimes in public, which makes me cringe, but: I. Follow. Through.
So funny!!! So hard to parent during the times you want to burst into laughter yourself!
-Jen
Post a Comment