Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Curse You, Daylight Savings Time!!!!


Bedtime has not been going well since daylight savings time went into effect. Jake is not cool with the hour-earlier bedtimes. I have tried putting him in the crib with the hopes that he will self-soothe, but it ain't happening. I usually end up going back upstairs, give him a bottle while holding him in the rocking chair until he is pretty sleepy, and then putting him back in the crib to cry some more before finally settling down and going to sleep. But I don't wanna get in that habit, so tonight I tried just putting him in and going downstairs, assuming the crying would stop after a few minutes. Not so much. He was hysterical for close to 40 minutes. I finally gave up, went upstairs with half a bottle, and was greeted by this angry little man:


According to my parents, Jake gets the same blotchy red face that I used to get when I was a baby. Of course, my parents weren't cruel enough to bring a camera in to a document a hysterical baby. (I saw it as a great photo op. I might as well start saving up for his therapy sessions now...)


So once I stopped snapping and decided to "rescue" him, he took two sips of the bottle (he just had a full bottle not half an hour before going to bed) and decided he would much rather just sit on mommy's lap and play with her big toe. I put him back in the crib a few minutes later, played peek-a-boo with him, and left the room. He cried twice and then fell asleep...at 10:00 pm. (9:00 old time). Can't we just do daylight savings year-round? Pick a time and stick to it! Argh!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little sad, gorgeous boy! I am glad you documented this; now those moments can live on but Jake can be done living them. He really was traumatized, wasn't he? His room looks buttery and beautiful! The photos are precious, in a sad and artsy way. Oh, and yes I am still using my 18-55 only. Which one is your "new" great-for-portraits lens again??

Anonymous said...

Poor Jake, it does take a while to get used to, even for adults. When are you moving to NY? I am sure Ralph will be staying up there somewhere so he can get to work.

Kelly said...

We are in the process of getting the house packed up and de-cluttered so it can go on the market. Ralph is staying at his parent's house for now, until the house we are renovating is ready for move-in (another week or two). I'll keep y'all posted!