Thank you all so much for you kind words. I am still somewhat in shock and don't know how to process this yet. How do you sum up 83 years of an incredible man's life in one blog post? I woke up this morning and could hardly remember what I posted yesterday. It was the longest day of my life. And the shortest day of his, now that I think about it...
The house is so quiet without him, and not at all in a good way. No more buzz of a loud television for a man who had damaged his hearing as an engineer for the bomber squadron in the war. No more hum of the oxygen machine that kept him breathing, after years of breathing in fumes from being a house painter. No more booming voice that had selflessly rushed into burning houses and buildings to save people in his days of being a fireman.
Whenever you lose someone, you lose part of yourself. I have lost all four of my grandparents, and both of Ralph's grandfathers, and those days stay with me forever. My heart aches for Grandpa Valentine, Grandpop Guie, Gram Valentine, Grandmom Guie, Papa Paul and now Papa Joe. A part of me died with each of them. My heart grows and heals each day I spend Jake, and I see him growing the hearts of my mother and father and of my mother-in-law and my father-in-law. As life goes on, we grow a little and we die a little, but we just keep going.
I take comfort in knowing that they are all together in Heaven, and that someday I will be there with them too, in a better place. On Good Friday, Papa went Home, and was reunited with his wife Josephine. I think of all of the loved ones on the other side - young and old - and I think of the great celebration they are having in Heaven today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
What an absolutely touching tribute. Papa Joe is truly in a better place, but I can see he will be so missed by those he left behind. (And to think he's embracing his sweet Josephine now must bring joy to your heart.)
P.S. Thanks for sharing in your e-mail. As you can see, I haven't written back yet, but you and your family have been on my heart since yesterday! Sending you lots of (snowy!) love from Minnesota.
I know how difficult that must have been for you to write. But thank you for sharing Papa Joe with us; it allows us to know him a little, too. While my heart aches for your loss, I also know that Papa Joe is joining your other loved ones as guardian angels who are watching over you from above.
What a sweet tribute Kelly! It gave me goosebumps. Have a blessed Easter tomorrow, though I'm sure it will be bittersweet without Papa Joe.
Im so sorry to hear about Papa Joe. Please send our Condolences to Ralph. What a special gift of memories you are able to have for jake.
We'll be thinking of you.
Jill & fam
Kelly,
I am so sorry for your loss of Papa Joe. Hopefully you can find some comfort in the happy times you shared and knowing that Papa Joe had the benefit of spending time with Jake. I'm sure he's telling his Josephine all about him! Please send our condolences to Ralph and his family.
Kelly, we are so sorry to hear of the loss of Papa Joe. My Mom always talks about how she enjoyed her grandmother living with them as a child. How special the memories be for Jake. Even though he may not remember everything he will have a lot of pictures and stories from you and Ralph to listen to that will mean so much to him. Grandparents are such a gift. Please tell Ralph and his family we are thinking of all of you. Love, Jennifer
Kelly, this was a beautiful post. My heart ached a little as I read, it brough back many, MANY memories of my grandfather who passed about 4.5 years ago.
I still have two grandmothers of my own, one who lives here in my town and the other who lives in S Korea, in which we will be traveling to see her in a year to possibly be saying our last, very sad goodbyes to her as that we probably be the last time we see her. I wasn't able to be with my hadobge (pronounced ha-dah-bo-gee, meaning grandfather in Korean) in the last few years of his life and oh how my heart broke....I miss him so.
I too have sooooo many wonderful memories of my grandpa taht lived here in the States and he was an amazing man, full of life, loved his kids and his grandkids even. He had Parkinsons and had had several strokes but my sister was expecting and he would always ask where his baby was, it was so funny. When my nephew was born, I had never seen anything like it before. My grandpa had almost completely forgotten who his kids and grandkids were but when he was around my nephew, he really came back to life and was so full of love and rememberance, it was beautiful.
So enough of my story, I just wanted to say how much you dear Papa Joe will be missed and remembered, Jake will be told many wonderful stories.
You my dear, are truely a wonderful blog friend, I'm sure you are a super "in real life" friend too! lol
Hi ladies, I was just reading back over your comments (a month later) and I want to thank you all for your kind words. It's our family and friends (real-life and bloggie friends) that get us through such rough times. Thank you all so much. -Kelly, Ralph & Jake
Post a Comment