Friday, October 17, 2008

Bronx Zoo

I am painfully aware that the pictures have been lacking on this blog lately. It's the old case of the Cobbler's kids going without shoes. I have been so busy taking pictures of other people that my poor kid has been under-photographed lately. I did actually whip out my camera on a few occasions over this last week, I just haven't posted any yet...

So here are some pics from when we made our first trip to the Bronx Zoo a few weeks ago. I'll tell ya, it made me miss DC, because in DC the zoo is FREE (ok, taxpayer dollars, whatever). Whereas in NY, the zoo costs an arm and a leg! I spent close to $70 in one afternoon on the following: zoo parking, zoo admission for one adult and one child (and that was WITH my coupon!), one stuffed baby tiger toy, and one lunch, which Jake and I shared, consisting of snack bar chicken fingers, fries, soda and an ice cream cone. Sheesh!

My friends are trying to talk me into buying a membership to the Zoo, "Which will pay for itself in about 2-3 visits". Ummm, yeah...I think I'm all caught up on spending a gazillion dollars to look at smelly reptiles and obnoxious birds, while fighting 5,000 other parents with strollers for a peek at a sleeping tiger's rear end...

Anywhoo... here's what we saw...

Peacock just roaming along the pathways with us



Jake "taking" mommy's picture



We're all about the prairie dogs!



Jake in a log



My favorite image of Jake all day :) I was afraid at first to let him climb this since most of the kids playing on the 'spiderweb' were much older, but I'm trying to be hands-off at the playground lately to let him learn. He did pretty well! :)



Wallabee (sp?). Says Jake: "It's wike a wittle kangawoo."



Jake in a giant tortoise shell, while refusing to face the camera for the 587th time that day. (Much more exciting things to do than pay attention to your mother and that dang camera)



Goats. At the zoo. So glad we paid $27.50 to look at something we can see on a farm. For free.



And another completely wild and exotic endangered animal: a goose.



Our good friends Bruno and Juliana, who shared a ride with us in the Skyfari!



The tiger - ROOOOAAARRRRR!!





The good news was that Jake had a good time and it was a good excuse to spend an afternoon outside in the fresh air. Maybe we'll try again in the spring, by then I will have forgotten how crowded it was and how much money I spent... ;)

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Yeah, that is definitely a lot of money for a zoo. We go to the Brandywine Zoo pretty often because kids 2 and under get in free, and over 2 is only a few dollars (and it is so close to our house). Of course, it also takes a whopping 20 minutes to see the whole zoo, but we spend a lot more time there than that and it is just right for Connor's attention span.

BTW, I can't believe how old Jake looks in these pics!!! Maybe it's the fact that he is also climbing that spider web; I don't think Cameron would even do that. Impressive, Jake! :)