Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Potty...uh... training?

There's been a lot of potty talk with our blogging peers these days. Some younger than Jake, some older. Jake is 22 months old tomorrow, so I figured it couldn't hurt to slowly introduce the concept.



So I went out and bought a little potty for Jake last week. No pressure, no solid plans, just put the potty in our bathroom, make sure he knows what it's there for, and get him comfortable with the idea of potty training. He seemed interested the night I introduced it to him, but it turned out all he wanted to do was flip the lid open and closed over and over. He was also interested in putting toilet paper in it. I put about a cup of water in the basin (to make eventual clean-up easier) and he keeps sticking his fingers in the water and splashing around. Even grosser, he wets his fingers then puts them in his mouth and says "Mmmmmm!". I've tried to stop him every time, but the bugger is quick! This isn't going as I had imagined....

When he was standing up, I asked him if he wanted to pee-pee in the potty. He promptly got into the man pee-stance: Back arched, hips thrust forward, hands on his willy. He produced nothing, which was probably for the best - he would have just sprayed the walls anyway.

So he finally sat on it last night (he had refused up until this point) and all he wanted to do was push his little pee-pee into the squishy foam seat and pull it back out. Great. So now I have a little guy that will only sit on the toilet for the purpose of playing with his willy. Guess we'll be in diapers for a little while longer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly don't worry that was the only way Brad would use the toilet when he was beginning, he had to sit and he accomplished what he set out to do. He eventually became comfortable then moving on to standing up. Plus, I didn't have the clean up:)

Adrienne said...

I just heard about a friend that trained her boy in one day...gave him tons of Sprite and juice and water, then every 4 minutes, took him to the toilet. Obviously an all day process at home...He peed 7 times in the toilet that day. He's cured, I guess. Crazy, huh? Anyway, happy training!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what fun! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures. I think I had about 7 funny (I thought) posts about potty training when Kieran was doing it back when. And, yes, playing with You Know What is just part of the fun of learning for them! I know you aren't looking for tips (well, you didn't ASK for tips) and I'm sure Jake will train just whenever he's ready, BUT:

*Kieran LOVED the book on video "Once Upon A Potty for boys." I mean loved it. It's how he really "got" it. We rented it from the library, otherwise I'd send it to you to borrow. There's a (catchy) song and it's short and to the point. Kieran would say, "I do like Joshua do!" ("Joshua" is the boy in the video.)

*It does go REALLY quick if you give the kid (er, Jake) lemonade all day for a day (weekend, or some time you don't need to leave) and put him on the potty OFTEN. When he goes a few times and you freak out with happiness, he gets the idea! (This is how I did things with Cullen now that he is interested in learning...and now he stays dry for HOURS between times I put him on the toilet.)

Have fun!!

Kim said...

Lol.... I hear ya. Although I dont have that much time at home right now to keep taking him in on the potty. It just sits in our bathroom. Every once in a great while he will sit on it and just stare at me then get up. Most of the time when I try to get him to sit on it he arches his back and says "no potty mommy!" and runs away, and more often than not he tries to use it as a step stool. So I guess it's getting "some" use.
If you come up with any secret tricks, forward them my way... would ya?

Kelly said...

Suggestions, Kim? Ha! My only tip for today: don't let him run around without a diaper! He showed a bit of interest in pee-peeing in the potty (got into his famous man-stance) but then went into my bedroom, sat down... and promptly peed on the floor.

Kim said...

Funny story...
Last night we were at my moms for her birthday and Spence, my 5 year old nephew announced he had to use the bathroom, so we all told him to get in there and go, well Land does EVERYTHING taht Spence does of course so what does Landen do? Follow Sence into the bathroom. they both head in there, a couple of minutes pass by and it was too quiet so I peeped my head in there and see Spence standing at the toilet trying to go of course, and then there is Landen, standing there nexct to him with him spiderman jammies down to his ankles, diaper off but stil hanging b/w his legs and he (Landen) has got a hold of his "wee-wee" (as you guys call it) but he isn't even tall enough to have his hips over the rim of the toilet. I instantly giggled b/ it wa sso cute and then my sister yelled at me for laughing and I tried to contain myself and then I praised them both but dude, seriously I was so not expecting that at all. What I WAS expecting was to see Landen standing next to Spence at the toilet with his(Landen's) hands on the rim of the toilet watching him pee..... boys.
For some reason I thought about you when this happened last night.
Sorry this was so long.

Kristin said...

Kelly,
Even though you and I emailed about our astonishment regarding this issue already, I feel obliged to comment here as well after reading the other ideas. This is just my humble two cents; feel free to ignore it! While all children are (of course) very different, the all-day technique really backfired with Cameron. He was really interested in potty training, and then, feeling pressure from daycare and preschool possibilities, I tried that all-day philosophy. After that day, he never wanted to hear the word "potty" again and began to regress. I tried to be very low-pressure with him, but he wasn't ready until he was ready. He blatantly told me one day that it would be okay if he still wore diapers when he was a grown-up (!!). So, I gave it a rest and eventually, he did it in his own time.

I will say that he also liked the "Once Upon a Potty" video, but his favorite one (which he still quotes and sings songs from) is a newer one called "Potty Power." (We got ours on Amazon.)

I know you are really grounded, so I know you are doing great with him and following his cues. Keep us updated on his progress. It certainly makes for great blogging material! :)