My car broke down, in the middle of the road, as we were on our way to daycare this morning. I had to have a kind stranger help push my car off the road (thanks man!). The past year has not been a good one car-wise. My beloved Integra (may she rest in peace) was totalled last year, on I-95, when I was about 3 weeks pregnant with Jake (didn't know at the time). Then we got hit by a deer (still pregnant) in Ralph's Accord (we were okay in both accidents thank God). I bought a Mazda 3 hatchback, my current car, to replace my beloved Integra. I like this car, but I don't really care much about it either way. It usually runs just fine, has enough horsepower, and looks fairly stylish. But today, it decided to konk out on me, and I just don't have time for crap like that (ok, who does?). I waited 90 minutes for a tow truck and had to get Ralph to take Jake to the Evil Daycare Center 30 miles south. Then it was off to the rental car place. I won't bore you with the details of that lovely visit....
BUT....Anyone who knows me well shouldn't be surprised when I say that I am (1) an import car snob and (2) a germ freak. So any situation involving a rental car is about as pleasant as sticking a fork in my eye. Today I was issued a 2006 Ford POS minivan-type god-awful thing. (My sincere apologies to anyone who loves their Ford, and to anyone who owns a minivan. I don't mean to offend, it's just not my cup of tea.) The rental car company was kind enough not to charge me for the potpourri scent of armpit and pee that came standard with this car. Who says you don't get anything for free? (I have been scrubbing myself with baby wipes all day - ewww!)
I'm not a minivan type of girl, and I really really miss my little silver sports car. The fact that we are considering replacing my Mazda with an SUV (a Honda, of course!) in the near future is bad enough. But driving a rental car that I hate makes my Monday so much worse. I felt like the queen of uncool driving a minivan today. If you really press me though, I will admit the space was...well, nice. But that's all you're gonna get out of me...

Click to see my charting of the cars I have owned/driven since I was 16, and the coolness factor attached to each one....lol


6 comments:
Sorry to hear you had such a crappy day! I know what you mean about the whole car thing. I loved my Pontiac (both of them). But when the engine was slowly dying, we had to buy a new car (wasn't ready to make the leap to an SUV)! So, we got the typical "Mom" car. (you and I are on the same page about the minivan) I have a Honda Accord, which I like. It's a very nice car, just not as sporty as I would like. (I've been trying to hang on desparately to my youth, ever since!)
Wow Kelly, you really have had your share of bad times since you returned to work. I remember some bad times when I had small kids. Once, Erik was so quiet, I forgot to drop him off at Aunt Bunny's and was almost at work when I noticed him just sitting back there in his car seat! Had to turn around and take him back!!
I broke down at least 3 times and remember in the "stone ages" there were no CELL phones, so I hitch hiked to work, once in the snow!
Well, hopefully things will go better for you, they can't get much worse!
Suggestion...re your bio "stinks to live in Delaware" get a job in PA, move to PA, get a nice day care in PA. We would love to have you in the area and I am sure your parents would love to have you closer!
Aunt Rose - yes, my parents would LOOOVE to have us live in PA. Delaware just doens't seem to be working out for us! LOL. Wonder if Aunt Bunny's "daycare" is still enrolling? tee hee
Perhaps Jake could just be passed from Aunt to Aunt? :)
I was actually going to suggest the same thing. My mom has availability! Maddy would love some company!
I feel for you with the car thing. After 10 years and 2 JEEP Wranglers, I had to become a responsible mom and get a regular car. Didn't think plastic windows and a canvas top was safe for the kid. Anyway, Chris is driving the car and I get the gas guzzling Tank (Durango). We have actually kicked around the idea of trading in the Durango for a smaller SUV or I'm embarrassed to say, even a minivan. Cool Jeep wrangler to soccer mom minivan...I'm just not ready for that.
We test drove a Honda Pilot and I like that a lot. It doesn't score all that hign on the cool-meter, but either do I these days - ha!
Post a Comment