Monday, January 08, 2007

Arggghhh....

Just when I am finally starting to really get along with the ladies at daycare (evil witch is no longer employed there - woo hoo!), they do something else to make me furious. I go in at lunch to drop off some bananas for Jake and spend some quality time with my little guy and end up leaving the place wondering why I let him stay there day after day....

Conversation with D.W.D.P (dim-witted daycare provider) this afternoon went something like this:

D.W.D.P:Oh, I have a funny story for you!
ME, tired but in a good mood:Oh yeah?
D.W.D.P: Yeah, so... has Jake had french fries yet?
ME, cautiously: Uh, noooo...why?
D.W.D.P: Well, when I got my lunch today, Jake was very interested in my french fries! He came over and almost crawled up me trying to get to them.
ME, more stern now: Yes, he's very curious about things...
D.W.D.P: Yeas, so he seemed like he really wanted some of these fries...
ME, terrified silence
D.W.D.P: So I gave him one, and...
ME, freaked out: You GAVE him a french fry?
D.W.D.P: Oh yeah, he was really wantin' them!
ME, more stunned silence:
D.W.D.P: So he was just playing with it and playin with it, and then he chewed on it a bit and played with it some more. He's so funny!
ME: Yeeeaaah... I don't think he should really be having french fries yet. We are really trying to get him used to his baby foods, and our pediatrician recom--
D.W.D.P: Yeah, so then, I got my cheesteak out and--
ME, jaw on the floor, please dear god no...
D.W.D.P: But I wasn't going to let him have that since I was really hungry.
ME, trying not to let my head explode: Yeah, he's way too young for that.
ME, to Jake, trying to contain my anger in front of my child: No more french fries for you, Jakie!
D.W.D.P, still not getting it: I think he really liked them!
ME: Riiiight..... I think I should go back to work now.

Apparently I need to stop thinking that they will get my gentle hints about what my child should and should not be eating and doing. I need to go back to being a blatant... uh... (rhymes with witch). I do NOT think it is funny or amusing to feed an infant french fries, and I need to make it crystal clear to this woman when I go to pick him up tonight. Arghhh....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is ok! Take a deep breath and relax. I'm sure she meant Jake no harm. (Why is she eating around the children? Don't they have an area to eat away from the children?) After all it is only a potatoe it could have been a beer!
Just kidding. Really, no harm was done and believe me he will put worse things in his mouth once he is moving around on his own more, Like dust bunnies and Ruthies toys. Believe it or not when Jake is a little older you will look back and laugh about this.

Kelly said...

Soo... are you saying Jake shouldn't be eating dust bunnies and Ruthie's toys??? Because, up until now, that has been a main staple of his diet - at least until mom and dad can run over and pull these things out of his mouth. :) tee hee

I guess what bothers me the most is that they don't seem to put any thought into what they give him - it's more like, 'Oh, how cute! He likes fries!'. This isn't the first time they've done this - they give it to him and then tell me later. First it was teething cookies (before he was really old enough to eat wheat), then raisin bread (pediatrician cringed at this).

Kyler and Mia's Mommy said...

I totally agree with you, Kelly. I know a french fry is not the end of the world, but it's your child. What he does and doesn't eat should be your decision. Of course I am crazy anal with everything. I have a chart of foods Kyler has eaten and how they are tolerated and he gets a new food introduced every 4 days. I would go ballistic if someone gave him food that was not on the pre-approved list and messed up my whole strategy. But again, I am slightly type A, poor Kyler with his crazy mom...

Anonymous said...

I WOULD BE FURIOUS TOO!!! I'm weird about giving Maddy juice and baby meats. But FRENCH FRIES???? OMG!!!! I would definitely have a chat with them! And I think I might have a chat with my daycare, just because. Good luck!

Kelly said...

I made a little passive-aggressive note on his sign-in sheet this morning: "No 'grown-up' foods please!!" (the double exclamation points were made into eyes and a smiley face)

I also had a little chat with the other girl (D.W.D.P. was not there) this morning, and she assured me that should NOT be happening. She told me she would talk to D.W.D.P.

If it happens again, I will give them a taste... of Hurricane Kelly.

Anonymous said...

Oh, funny! You're a good storyteller, too. No fries for babies! The last thing you need is for Jake to develop a premature yen for McDonald's. Then you'd have to leave for work even earlier, to make a drive through pit stop for his craving. I mean, there's a reason they make baby food healthy, using green vegetables, with NO grease. Plus, hasn't she heard of choking? Oh, brother.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully they get the message!

I asked the question at Maddy's daycare this morning. They assured me I didn't have to worry. They said they won't even give a cheerio without the parents authorizing it. (big sigh of relief) They could not believe the french fry story either!

Have a good day!