Sunday, February 10, 2008

Turning Jakenese I really think so...

So Jake has been talking more and more lately, but a lot of it is still sounding pretty foreign. Which has caused us to dub the language he speaks "Jakenese".

For example:

"Uff Eww!" = Love You!
"Ehmo" = Elmo
"Moom" = Moon
"Raff" = Ralph
"Cuckie" = Cookie
"At! At!" = Hat
"Ack-ack-ack" = Quack, quack
"Shu-shus" = Shoes
"Kah-kuh" = Cracker
"Eye-shhh" = Ice
"Ah-wall" = Oswald (a cartoon he watches)
"Bops!" = The DoodleBops (another cartoon he watches)
"Uppah! Uppah!" = Up (pick me up)
"Cheez" = Cheese
"Cheez" = Please

He is also having a bit of trouble telling who's who:

"Mama" = Mom
"Mama" = Grandma Mary Ellen
"Mama" = Mema Mary
"Dad" = Dad
"Dad" = Grandpa Jim
"Dad" = Papa Ralph
"Dad" = Papa Joe
"Dad" = Uncle Danny
"Lah" = Aunt Laura
"Kuh" = Uncle Chris
"Guh" = Uncle Greg


UPDATED: Here's the video for MckMama, and anyone else who wants this dang song stuck in their head all day like me ;)



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got my new computer so now I can comment. Don't count on it happening too often ... don't want to lose my "super lurker" status. I forgot to tell you that last weekend when Jake was here he started calling Uncle Danny "Unka".

Grandma

Kim said...

This sounded very familiar in our house not that far back. And now he is talking so much you can't get him to stop... lol. I just lov hearnig them chat away.

Anonymous said...

My brain is not working and I cannot make sense of the title "Turning Jakenese I really think so." Maybe it's just me.

Regardless, I LOVE reading babytalk. I especially love "uuppah." Makes me think Jake's gonna break out in song, Wizard of Oz style: "OOmpa, loompa, dumpadee-duum..."

'Cept he's way cuter than an Oompa Loompa.

Oh, and also nice that at least he appears to not be gender-confused when it comes to determining the sex of others.

Sex like gender.

I gotsa get to bed.

Kelly said...

Yeah, the title is a little bit obscure, but now the song has been in my head for hours....

According to Wikipedia:
"The Vapors were a New Wave and power pop band from England that existed between 1979 and 1981. They had a hit with the song "Turning Japanese" in 1980."

The lyrics include the catchy repetitive phrase: "Turning Japanese / I think I'm turning Japanese / I really think so." You can look it up on YouTube if you need a refresher ;)

Kristin said...

Again, I am feeling old because that title made total and complete sense to me! Now the song will be in my head all day. ;)

I really want to know if Jake, like Connor, has his own Jakenese ways of saying "no." You know, like there is the non-compliant "no," then there is the emphatic "nOOOO," and then there is the overly dramatic "no, no no no no nOOOOO!!!!!" Each certainly has a separate meaning in our house.

I'm also jealous that Jake is saying he loves you. Connor still makes the "mmmm-wah" kissy noise in response to our telling him (very frequently) that we love him. How great did that feel the first time, Kelly?!? I can't wait!

Kelly said...

Oh, yes, Kristin, the word "NO" is a frequent staple in the Jakenese language. And there are lots of different forms of "No." There is the "Nooo..." that means, "Nah, I don't really feel like it", the "NO!" that means "If you ask again I'm going to scream at the top of my lungs" and there is the "No" that really means "Ok, but I don't wanna say yes, so I'll say no and then go along with your suggestion."

As for him saying "I love you" - it wasn't nearly as sweet as I hoped it would be - it wasn't a spontaneous answer back to one of our frequent "I Love You's", but more of a "Daddy is helping me to sound out the words" kind of "I Love You." Prior to that, he simply answered with a blowing of a kiss, which he still does when his mouth is full or when he's feeling lazy (often). But it is adorable hearing him say it, I must say :)

Anonymous said...

Apparently my finger is so not on the pulse. Nor was it in 1980. Thanks for bringing me up-to-date. I really appreciated. (I do certainly recognize the song now that I hear it...but I would have been very hard-pressed to come up with the song even if I'd known this post title was an allusion to one.)