Thursday, February 14, 2008

We were orphaned!



We usually have quite a few people around to keep us company these days. Gone are the days of Delaware when it seemed like Ralph and I were marooned on our own little island. It's nice to have Ralph's family living close by, and we take advantage of the babysitting services and the home-cooked meals :)

But this week, my mother-in-law Mary went to Florida, my father-in-law was out of town, my siblings-in-law are all back to college or training, and Ralph went away on a business trip too. Jake and I were practically orphaned by our usual support network!


I tried to make the best out of the situation - I did my best to catch up on my work before everyone headed south for the winter so that I could concentrate on spending time with Jake and doing activities that we would both find enjoyable this week. Today, we spent almost the whole day out of the house - which is VERY RARE for Jake and I! But I found that I really enjoyed leaving the house. We were on the go from morning 'til bedtime.

We had a playdate next door with our awesome neighbors and then it was naptime - which happened in the car as I managed to do as many errands as possible with the use of drive-thrus. ;) I tried putting Jake down for the rest of his nap once we got back, but he wasn't having it. So it was off to the post office and grocery store, where Jake held the list for me and read it off according to what was next (the list consisted of - according to Jake - oranges, cookies, juice, juice, juice, cookies, cookies, eggs, eggs, juice, oranges, juice and orange juice). Luckily I got a few peeks at the list before Jake balled it up, threw it in the back of the cart, found it again, then shredded it to pieces. He's not much help at the grocery store, but I enjoy his company.


Next we ran home, grabbed some late lunch (consisting of leftover corn and rice from yesterday's outing to Friendly's in the snow) with Papa Joe, and then headed back out to the movies to see the Veggie Tales' Pirates Who Don't Do Anything. There was only one other family in the theater (thank God) and Jake was about 5 years younger than the other kid there. He sat very nicely and quietly through the first 30-45 minutes, eating his Sour Patch Kids and working on a binkie and a bottle of milk (snuck in of course - I don't give Jake soda and certainly not $5.25 movie soda).

But as the movie wore on, Jake got a bit restless and decided to stroll around the theater. We were in one of the first rows, so I let him go run around a bit since he wasn't making much noise. He went up and down the set of steps and asserted his independence, and then decided.... "Hmmm, I guess it's time to poo!" Seriously. He sat down on the steps, assumed his usual rounded-back position, put his palms to his forehead and grunted away. Very. Classy. I am horrified to report, as well, that he managed to bend over and eat a Sour Patch Kid off the floor. Using only his mouth. On the movie theater carpet. *Shudder* My reaction time is quick, but apparently not quick enough.


Jake enjoyed dancing to the end credits and was mad we had to leave the theater when the lights and the muzak came on. After a few limit-testing bolts away from mama in the bathroom and movie theater lobby, we headed to Buffalo Wild Wings for some post-movie grub. The hostess took a liking to 'Eagles fan Jake', who was dressed in his Philadelphia Eagles sweatpants outfit (a gift from Uncle Danny - don't tell Dada we wear it when he goes out of town!), so he charmed his way into getting crayons, a coloring book, stickers and even a balloon.

After dinner, we were both exhausted and headed home to go to bed. Ralph has just now returned home from his business trip with an arm full of roses and calla lillies! Woo-hoo! Valentine's Day came early AND we are no longer orphaned! :)



6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a very fun day! Go Eagles!

Anonymous said...

I think it was quite unnecessary for Kelly to waste precious time and key strokes on the fact that I was on a business trip. All you had to do was look at Jake's shirt to know that I was not around!! To be fair (and so that Uncle Danny doesn't think Jake doesn't wear what he gets him) I have dressed Jake up in the green pants from that outfit numerous times. However there is no logo on them, so up here people just think he's wearing NY Jets colors, so we get away with it. Having gone to college in Philadelphia I'm not an Eagles hater, but just to even things out I am thinking I'll have Jake parade around York, PA in an Eli Manning jersey when we head out there this weekend! The Super Bowl rings aren't made yet, otherwise I would have him wear one of those too :)

Kristin said...

Kelly, I am laughing so hard from your post that I am about to PEE my pants! That made my day. Glad you took him to see Veggie Tales, too, and it's nice to know that I'm not the only crazy mama chasing my little one around movie theatres. I know things are more expensive there than in Delaware, but did you get him in for free at least? At our theatre, anyone under 3 is free. :) Score!

Kelly said...

Ah crap! I didn't even *think* about that! I went to the ticket kiosk and just typed in "one child, one adult." Poo! Even worse, we went late so we missed the matinee prices! We got totally hosed. I'm thinking no more movies for a while... I think he's still a bit young. Oh well. :(~

Anonymous said...

Poor little orphan Jakey. Poor little orphan Kelly.

Hey, it was exciting to read about your MCK Family style day, though...out and about, that's my girl!

Kelly said...

I was inspired by you, MCK Mama! :) we did the same thing today - more details in a forthcoming post...