I am recalling a picture my parents had taken in their kitchen when I was a baby. They had placed my bottle tops and latex nipples into a saucepan with boiling water to sterilize them. Apparently there was some sort of distraction and the pan went on boiling until all the water had evaporated, and the latex nipples melted all over the bottom of the saucepan. My parents took a picture of the harvest gold saucepan with several nipples melted into one big gooey mess.
Well, times have changed and there are all sorts of technological advances. My dear friends Kelly and Sarah both got me an Avent Steam Sterilizer (darn Babies R Us registry duplication error!) as a baby gift, and it has reeeeeeally come in handy! Ralph and I wash all the bottles and then load them into this amazingly well-designed steam sterilizer that can accommodate all of the bottles, rings, nipples, and caps. We just load it, pour in the water, plug it in, press the button, and VOILA! It sterilizes everything in six minutes! It was a wonderful gift and we use it all the time.
Even with the technological advances, history seems doomed to reapeat itself.... We use these great little containers to pre-measure Jake's formula. I scoop it into the compartments so that when he is hungry, I can flip the top over a single compartment and pour it right into a bottle filled with the proper amount of water, shake it up and feed him instantly. No warming, no thawing, just room temperature water and powdered formula. My friend Jen was the one who recommended this system, she is a genius. I decided the containers were due for a good cleaning and I wanted to go ahead and pop them in the sterilizer as well. I stick bottles and pacifiers in there all the time and didn't think twice about popping the containers in there. Oops. I opened the sterilizer when it was done and found the green containers had warped and melted like crazy in the sterilizer. D'OH! The green container(s) pictured are the ones that melted, the blue container is what they looked like before (only they were always green).

Very psychadelic!



No comments:
Post a Comment